Monday, September 21, 2009

Borscht!

My family a few generations back was Ukrainian, and they moved to the Canadian Prairies in the early 1900s (where many Eastern Europeans settled!) Some of the culture has been passed on, and while unfortunately for me as a linguist none of that culture involved language, I am very thankful that most of that culture involved FOOD!

I've already posted my grandmother's recipe for pierogies, so here's a variation on her borscht (beet stew!!) Admittedly, Rob and I winged it without a recipe or without talking to Grandma Stella, so I was going on instinct alone... but it turned out well!

Ingredients
2 tbsp butter
1 large white onion, sliced and chopped (we made ours into half-rings)
1 stalk of celery, chopped
6 cups of broth (veggie, chicken, beef, whatever!)
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
10 medium beets, peeled and cubed
1/2 can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 head of cabbage, shredded
1 tbsp of dill, chopped
salt and pepper

Directions
  1. In a large pot, heat butter on medium heat and add onions and celery. Season with salt and pepper, and cook on medium-low heat until onions are transparent.
  2. Add in the broth, potatoes, beets, and beans. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
  3. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or so.
  4. Add in cabbage and dill.
  5. Simmer for another 30-40 minutes. Just taste it along the way until you think the taste is right.
  6. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.

I'm not sure I would change much about this recipe. Carrots might be a welcome addition, if sauteed with the onion and celery at the beginning. Other than that, I really enjoyed the recipe! And so did Rob. hahaha.

1 comment: