Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Carrot Ginger Soup

I'm not feeling too well this morning - cough, fever, stuffy nose - so I thought I'd make some homemade soup to try and clear my head. My mom had given me a ton of homemade turkey broth after Christmas, and my kitchen was stocked with about 4lbs of carrots... Natch, I decided to make some sort of carrot soup.

As usual, I googled for a recipe. I didn't find any one in particular that I liked, so I mixed and matched from a few. Here's what I came up with:

Ingredients:
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp margarine
2lbs carrots, grated
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
6 cups turkey broth (you could use chicken or veggie)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Heat margarine over medium heat, add onions, and cook until onions are softened (but not browned).
  2. Add carrots and ginger, and stir. Let cook for about 5 minutes, or until carrots are sort of "al dente".
  3. Add broth and bring to a boil.
  4. Simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes, until carrots are soft.
  5. Puree with a hand blender or in a food processor.
  6. Add salt and pepper to taste.

This recipe turned out really well, for the most part. Maybe it's just because I have a cold and I can't taste anything, but I thought the soup could use more ginger. So I added about a tsp of powdered ginger, and that seemed to do the trick.

Otherwise - this recipe will definitely become one of my go-tos!

No comments:

Post a Comment