Thursday, May 27, 2010

Spicy Thai Chicken Wings

For a BBQ my friends hosted last week, I decided to bring chicken wings... But I didn't want to bring the classic BBQ flavoured wings, so I set out on a Google mission to find some interesting twists on the classic.

I came across this one from This Food, That Wine. It's a recipe for some Spicy Thai wings that included (mostly) things that I had around the house, so I didn't have to go out to buy anything.

Ingredients
20 fresh chicken wings
1 tsp cracked black pepper
2 tsp ginger, freshly grated (tip: keep your ginger root in the freezer! It keeps well and makes it so easy to grate!)
1 tbsp garlic, freshly minced (about 2 cloves)
1 tbsp palm sugar (I didn't have this, so I used brown sugar instead)
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp veggie oil
2 tbsp lime juice
1-2 tbsp chili garlic sauce (to taste!)

Directions
  1. Rinse chicken wings well and pat dry. Put in a large bowl.
  2. In another bowl or measuring cup, mix the rest of the ingredients until well-combined.
  3. Pour over wings and toss to coat.
  4. Cover bowl and put in the fridge to marinate for at least two hours.
  5. Spread chicken wings on a baking sheet lined with tin foil (for easy clean-up).
  6. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes, turning once.

Notes
  • These wings don't turn out to be very saucy. I know I said I wanted to get away from the classic wing recipes... but I was talking about in flavour! I love saucy chicken wings! So I think next time I might add some ketchup to the mix and see what that does for the sauciness factor.
  • After the wings had cooked for 20 min, I found that they weren't crispy enough so I broiled them for a few minutes on each side.
  • The taste was pretty good... Not sure what I would change about it next time, but I think I would still play around with the flavours.

No comments:

Post a Comment