Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Lemon Sage Chicken

So today I was looking in the fridge and thinking about what I was going to make for dinner. Zucchini... potatoes... cucumber... lemon... sage... chicken. So I googled "Lemon Sage Chicken" and came up with a ton of different responses. My favourite was the following recipe from Good Housekeeping. This is the original recipe, but keep in mind that I altered it to make one serving since I was only cooking for one!

Ingredients
4 chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup white wine
1 tsp grated lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp chopped parsely
1 tsp chopped fresh sage
1 tbsp cold margerine

Directions
  1. Butterfly your chicken breasts. Between two pieces of plastic wrap, hammer the meat until it is 1/2 thick.
  2. Season both sides of each breast with salt and pepper.
  3. In a pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts and cook until chicken is no longer pink throughout.
  4. Set chicken aside and cover with foil.
  5. Add chicken broth and white wine to skillet. Simmer until sauce is reduced by half.
  6. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, sage, and parsely.
  7. Remove skillet from heat and stir in cold margarine.
  8. Drizzle sauce over chicken and serve.

Notes
As I mentioned before, I altered this recipe to fit one serving. Also, I didn't have parsely, so I left it out. I also substituted veggie broth for chicken broth, because I didn't have chicken broth.

A few tips...
  • Don't use white wine that is too sweet.
  • I continued to reduce the sauce after I added the sage and lemon because the sauce was really thin and I wanted it to thicken up. Looking back, I wouldn't have reduced it for so long because the sauce became too sweet.
  • Don't use too much lemon juice - it will overpower the sage.
I really liked this recipe otherwise, and would definitely make it again with the aforementioned alterations!

No comments:

Post a Comment